Pages

Thursday 18 March 2021

From The Lands of Kaiapoi to Akaroa.

 Do you know your way around a compass?

Do you even know what a compass is. A compass is a thing that tells you where North, South, East and West is. Here is what one looks like. 
What Is A Compass? | How Does A Compass Work? | DK Find Out

Any ways for Maths this week we looked at directions on the app google maps. This was our quest:

You are the warriors chosen by your Rangatira to lead a rescue mission. You are safe at home at Kaiapoi Pa but have heard news of your kinsmen in distress. Ōnawe Pa is under attack and you must get there as soon as possible to rescue those who are under threat and help fight against  Te Rauparaha’s advancing war party. You have been given the following brief:

1.You must measure distance between the two locations ( remember the roads we have today may not be your chosen path)

2.What is the most direct route from one place to the other

3.Include the compass directions both locations are from the centre of Ōtautahi.

4.Find how long it would take by boat.

5.Find how long it would take by car.

This was a map of the the 2 Pas.





This was my screenshot for number 2

The distance is 56.6km

This was my screenshot for number 4
The distance is 112km

This was my screenshot for number 5
The distance is 76km


The direction is South East from Kaiapoi to Ōnawe but then it is North West from Ōnawe to Kaiapoi. The distance is 56.5 kilometres. 




What route would of you taken?

No comments:

Post a Comment

To support my learning I ask you to comment as follows:
1. Something positive - Begin with a greeting. Talk about something you like about what I have shared.
2. Thoughtful - A comment that will mean something to me to let me know you read/watched or listened to what I had to say. - use any language.
3. Something helpful - Give me some ideas for next time or ask me a question.
Encourage me to make another post